Skip to main content

Exchange 2010 Offline Address Book not refreshing

Offline Address Book on MS Exchange 2010

Another headbutter of a silly issue, but this one was quickly resolved.

We have Exchange 2010, migrated from an Exchange 2003 server that is still registered on he AD because I haven't gotten round to decommissioning it yet. I suspect the prescence of the EX2003 is an cause of the issue, even though I have moved the OAB to EX2010. Anyhow...



If we make a change to the Exchange environment, say add a user, they are added to the OAB but the changes are not updated on users PC's

My first thought was that it was a caching issue so I disabled caching and sure enough, the correct OAB is shown, re-enable caching and it reverts to the wrong one.

So simple solution; close Outlook, delete the cached OAB files (typically for Outlook 2003/2007 they will be in %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook and will have an .oab extension - if you're nervy then move them to a backup location)

Oh, BTY, in Outlook 2010 they are in %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook\Offline Address Book\CLSID and if you are connected to more than one exchange server, a different CLSID per server. Easy way to find out which one you want to delete/backup - open the utmplts.oab or udetails.oab in notepad and look at the name of the server and Exchange Administrative Group its reading from.

So, you've deleted or moved the .oab files - open outlook and F9 - voila - the correct OAB cached until next time you make a change!

Oh Yeah - this is for when DOWNLOAD OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK doesn't work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Surge Competition

Talk Talk Cyber Attack

Internet Routers are under attack!

What is the cloud and do I need it?

Massive Global Malware Attack